Monday, 9 September 2013

Math Game - Number Guess

So I mentioned yesterday about the math activity I was going to do today.  I purchased Avery Cord Style Name Badges, downloaded template #74465, and then typed one- to three-digit numbers - one number per card.  I just printed these on normal paper and paper cut them to 4" X 3" rather than wasting the nice perforated ones enclosed.  Then I slid one number in each plastic pouch.  During math class, I put one of these cord badges around the students' necks with the card on their back so they couldn't see their own numbers.
Now the children walked around with a post-it note to take notes (if they wanted) and they could ask yes/no questions - but only one for each student until they figured out their number.  Once everyone was successful, we discussed what kind of questions were very helpful.  For example, some children asked: "Is it 38?"  "Is it 217?"  Not very useful questions.  Some asked:  "Is it odd?"  "Is it 3 digit?" "Is it higher than 500?"  This provided them with more useful information.  It was an interesting and fun activity for everyone!  (I did, of course, rig the numbers - easier ones for those who needed it.)  Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Cute activity Lisa ! Can be changed up for tons of things!

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! We are working on place value so this would be a great review game! Thanks for the idea!

    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cute idea. My kiddos would enjoy this. Thanks for the suggestion!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this game! I bet your class loved it! I need to play this...I forgot all about this game! Thanks!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this game and have played it often with first and second graders. Never thought about using it with 4th grade, but I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great game! How fun!! I am thinking now how I could use something like this in ELA with vocabulary...
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome idea! I bet they had a lot of fun with that activity.
    - Melissa
    Teacher Abroad

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I should try this with my kiddos. I bet they would love it!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete