Sunday, 12 January 2014

A Peek at My Week - Word Work

I'm linking up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at My Week.  (Have I ever told you how much I love her?  She is so sweet!)
I feel like all I did today was work.  I know it's not exactly true but it sure feels like it.  I spent a long time thinking about root words, prefixes, and suffixes.  I looked at other teachers' ideas, googled, and thought and thought and thought.  Then I came up with this layout.  It still needs tweaking but it's a good start.
I figure letting them select which word they use would differentiate the activity.  My strong students may use a dictionary and learn some fancy new words.  Win win!  I also made a SMART Notebook activity for prefixes.  We are also working on our persuasive writing and media analysis of advertisements (one of my favourite things to teach).
In Math, we are continuing on with fractions.  Did you see Meg at The Teacher Studio's post about Concept Sorts - Deep Thinking about Fractions?  I love it!  We are totally doing the ½ concept sort this week!
We are also starting province/territory file folder projects.

My biggest wish for the week?  No freezing rain, polar vortex, or indoor recess!  Enjoy your week!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your prefix sheet layout! I am with you on the no freezing rain, polar vortex or indoor recess- I am counting down the days 'til Spring! Have a great week!
    ♬Kay
    On the Trail of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks Lisa!

    Let me know how your word work activity went! They are so important for kids to learn.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete