Thursday, 23 January 2014

Roots of Empathy and Fraction Sort

Sorry for the absence, Friends.  I was simply hibernating!  I am so tired of the freezing cold, ridiculous temperatures.  I have been so good at fitting in my runs for the 500 miles in 2014 running challenge but it is really hard when the windchill has been close to -30 Celsius.  I don't remember ever having such a long cold winter.  I guess it is payback for our last few mild winters.  Anyway, less than 10 miles left in the next 8 days.  I can totally do that!

Anyway, have you heard of the Roots of Empathy program?  This is my first year participating in this amazing program.  Each topic is presented in a three-week format.  So far we have covered such things as emotions, bullying, stages of development, costs of diapers...  The teacher comes the first week and introduces the topic with a story, song, group activities.  The second week the teacher comes with the mom and the cutest baby in the world!  The baby wears a t-shirt that says "Teacher" on it!  Lol!  Then the teacher comes alone on the third week to recap, discuss, etc.

My students are consistently amazing when that baby is there.  They love her so much!  They have seen her since she was just over one-month old and they feel like she is part of their family.

Last week we did one of Meg from The Teacher Studio's fraction activities from Concept Sorts: A Set of 5 Fraction Sorts for grades 4 and 5.  I LOVED this activity!  All of the students were absolutely engaged.  And I learned that many of them did not understand the concept of equivalent fractions.
(My apologies for the poor photos!)
In groups of 3, my lovelies sorted the various cards as Exactly ½ or Not ½.  When they agreed with their placement, they glued them on chart paper.  Then each student walked around with a Post-It note and cut off a tiny piece to stick on ones that they thought were incorrect.  Great activity!  Stay warm and have a fantastic Friday!

6 comments:

  1. So glad you felt it was meaningful! I absolutely love doing concept sorts with my kids and know that I can really see more deeply who understands and who does not. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard of the Roots of Empathy program...it sounds really neat! Stay warm...I think I'm cold in Iowa - I can't even imagine how cold it must be up where you live! :)
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please check out LIFTPackages.blogspot.com. It is a teacher exchange program in which you meet teachers and send packages. Please feel free to sign up and pass our name along!

    Thanks
    -LIFTPackages

    ReplyDelete
  4. 500 miles?!? Good for you! I feel ya on the cold... Here in MN, negative temps have become the norm for most of January. I can imagine it's even colder for you! I've never heard of the Roots of Empathy project... very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of the Roots of Empathy program. We could definitely use some work in this area, that is for sure.

    I'm so proud of how you've stuck with your exercise program! I try to get down to my treadmill at least three times a week, but with it being so cold, all I want to do is take a nap so winter passes faster. :) You keep going, girl!!! (I'm living my exercise dreams through you, BTW.)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please check out LIFTPackages.blogspot.com. It is a teacher exchange program in which you meet teachers and send packages. Please feel free to sign up and pass our name along!

    Thanks
    -LIFTPackages

    LiftPackages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete